Where To Cool Off In Tampa
While living in Florida you can enjoy almost year round sunshine and beautiful beaches. It’s definitely a perk for the millions of residents and visitors. While the tropical temperatures are great, you may find yourself wanting to cool off from all those high temperatures.
We’ve come up with some fun options to stay cool while you’re in the Tampa Bay area.
Ice Skating Rink
What can be cooler than gliding over a rink of ice that’s 32 degrees F? Not only will ice skating help you keep your cool, it’s a great activity that the family can do together. Check out these ice skating rinks that have open public skates (check schedules for times) for the ultimate in icy coolness:
- The Ice Sports Forum, 10222 Elizabeth Pl, Tampa, FL 33619 Tampa. – The Ice Sports Forum is the official practice facility of the National Hockey League’s Tampa Bay Lightning. They also have public skating, hockey leagues and even Parent & Me skating.
- Tampa Bay Skating Academy Oldsmar,255 Forest Lakes Blvd. Oldsmar, FL 34677,
- Clearwater Ice Arena: 14044 Icot Blvd, Clearwater, FL
- Countryside Mall: 33760, 27001 US Hwy 19N, Clearwater, FL 33761- Located in the center of the mall so you can skate and take in some shopping.
- Advent Health Center Ice, 3173 Cypress Ridge Blvd Wesley Chapel FL 33544 – They offer public skating, hockey leagues and dining inside so no need to leave the facility to catch some real tasty bites.
Ice Cream Shop
If you can’t get chilly on the outside, get chilly on the inside. Ice cream has been keeping people cool for hundreds of years, though its exact origins are debatable. Did you know that the first known instance of ice cream being served was in Maryland in 1774? Some of the coolest places to get your licks today include:
- The Revolution Ice Cream Co, 6701 N Florida Ave.Tampa, FL 33604 – Also offers vegan and infused options.
- Snobachi Handcrafted Ice Cream , 2206 E 7th Ave. Tampa, FL 33605 – Rolled ice cream is cool, and Dragon Ballz are even cooler. You’ll love all the different possible flavor combinations.
- Astro Ice Cream Co at Armature Works, 1910 N Ola Ave.Tampa, FL. 33602 – Hand made and flash frozen and some of the richest flavors in town.
- Jeremiah’s Italian Ice Of South Tampa, 4051 S Dale Mabry Hwy, Tampa, FL 33611- You’ll find tasty frozen treats in a variety of flavor
- Orange Cycle Creamery, 212 E Tarpon Ave. Tarpon Springs, FL 34689 – Premium ice cream with 28 flavors that will keep you coming back for more.
- Ice Dreammm Shop, 23912 FL-54 #2, Lutz, FL 33559 – Locally owned and they craft their our own ice cream. From classic favorites to crazy concoctions.
All you need for a day of fun can be found within the square footage of a shopping mall. Many include a wide variety of restaurants, a multi-screen movie theater, and a play area for the kids. Families can make an entire day out of one trip, all while enjoying the coolness of the A/C.
- International Plaza & Bay Street, 2223 N Westshore Blvd, Tampa, FL 33607 – If you’re looking higher end looks while you cool off then this is the perfect spot.
- Westshore Plaza, 250 Westshore Plaza, Tampa, FL 33609 – This mall is surrounded by some amazing restaurants like Maggiano’s and you’ll find the AMC to take in a movie.
- Westfield Citrus Park, 8021 Citrus Park Town Center, Tampa, FL 33625 – This mall offers a movie theatre, kids play area and even a carousell.
- Westfield Brandon, 459 Brandon Town Center Dr, Brandon, FL 33511- It’s a big mall with many options, food, and the children’s play area.
- Westfield Countryside, 27001 US Hwy 19 N Suite 1039, Clearwater, FL 33761 – Ice skate in the mall? Yes! Plus many other shopping and food options.
The weather in Florida can be too hot to spend much time outside. But for those who want to burn off their energy without getting burned, rock climbing can provide the adrenaline rush you’re looking for. This state-of-the-art indoor climbing facility offers something for everybody, from the novice to the seasoned pro. With over 60 bouldering routes, 10 top rope stations, and much more, you’ll stay cool while enjoying an adventure.
- Vertical Ventures Tampa, 5402 Pioneer Park Blvd, Ste E, Tampa, FL 33634 – Check out their weekend specials
- Vertical Ventures St. Petersburg, 116 18th St S, St. Petersburg, FL 33712 – Our personal favorite. This one has a lot more room for bigger parties.
For those who prefer to stay cool and low-key, check out one of the many local museums for a day of cool exploration and education. In Tampa, head to:
- Tampa’s Museum of Science & Industry (MOSI),4801 E Fowler Ave, Tampa, FL 33617 – Learn and expand your mind in fun ways that will connect you to science and the stars. Small museum but a great option for those science minded family members.
- Glazer Children’s Museum, 110 W Gasparilla Plaza, Tampa, FL 33602– Play, discover, and connect through exhibits and hands-on exploration.
- Tampa Museum of Art, 120 W Gasparilla Plz, Tampa, FL 33602 – A modern museum with art pieces that will wow even the little ones. They have a free arts program for kids on Saturdays.
- Museum of Fine Arts, 255 Beach Dr NE, St. Petersburg, FL 33701 – Exhibits spanning 4,000 years, including African art, European paintings, American photography and it has a fun and large kids art and play area.
- The Dali Museum, 1 Dali Blvd, St Petersburg, FL 33701 – Dedicated to the works of Salvador Dalí. It houses the largest collection of Dalí’s works outside Europe.
Adventure Island, 1001 N. Mickinley Dr, Tampa, FL 33602 – Home to Tampa’s largest water park. You’ll find water slides, pools and lazy rivers. The cool waters will cool you down very quickly. Adventure Island is a seasonal attraction that usually run from Spring to Fall.
Splash Harbor Water Park, 399 2nd St, Indian Rocks Beach, FL 33785 – Beat the heat with miles of water slides, waterfalls, and lazy rivers. Plus, there’s a cool game room where guests can get out of the sun and have a blast winning prizes. Locker and cabana rentals are available, and there’s plenty of places to eat and drink.