Family Road Trips in a Day
There’s nothing as exciting as a road trip. And when that trip takes you to someplace unique? Even better. The Tampa area has much to offer those who are looking to make new memories. If your goal is to see something completely different, head off to one of these destinations.
1. Bok Tower Gardens in Lake Wales, FL
As one of the most unique and memorable places to see in Florida, Bok Tower Gardens has been welcoming visitors since 1929. There’s something for everyone here as you’ll find unparalleled beauty that enriches the senses. This is the ultimate place to connect with nature. When planning your visit, you can spend as little as one hour or as long as five hours enjoying all there is to offer.
- Photos – From the Tower to the Gardens to Hemlock Hollow, there are photo opportunities galore.
- Music – Enjoy the daily Carillion concerts at 1 & 3 p.m., with short pieces played throughout the day.
- Shopping – Don’t forget to stop at the gift and garden shop to commemorate your visit.
2. Heartland Events in Bowling Green, FL
Head on down to the farm for a family adventure that fills your day with fun. Open all year around, this is nature at its most rustic and glorious. Come for the daytime activities, stay for the evening campfires–complete with s’mores. It’s a day-long excursion when you visit Heartland Events.
- Pet – The animals at Heartland Events are cute and friendly
- Ride – Hayrides and the cow train provide rolling excitement. (Seasonal)
- Battle- Bring on the family competition at the Battle Zone where you can shoot nerf style balls to your opponents
- Play – The playground and jumping pillow will give the kids a perfect day of play.
3. Presidents Hall of Fame in Clermont, FL
Everything you ever wanted to know about the presidents of the United States can be found here at the Presidents Hall of Fame. For the history buffs or those just looking for something fun and unique to do. This is the place where Donald Trump and Barrack Obama appear together—as replicas, that is. Other fascinating exhibits include:
- Tour – A White House Replica
- View – The Liberty Bell
- Visit – Mt. Rushmore
4. Orange Grove Tour at Mixon Fruit Farms
2525 27th Street East, Bradenton, Florida 34208-7467
Have you ever been to a real orange grove? Head to Mixon Fruit Farms where you’ll find more than just fruit. You can learn all about citrus history, have a picnic, and play at the amazing play place. The Gift Shoppe and Groveside café has everything from freshly made citrus juices and wines, to home décor and unique gifts.
- Ride – Hop on the Orange Blossom Express to tour the orange grove while getting an education in reptiles, birds, and all things citrus.
- Play – Kids will love their Amazing Play Place where they jump, slide and climb for a small fee. Get in the ball pit or get on the gigantic chess set. Or, test your golf skills on the putting green.
- Interact – See all of the amazing wildlife that Florida has to offer.
5. Solomon’s Castle
4533 Solomon Rd, Ona, FL 33865
You’ll never see anything quite this unique. It’s a castle of aluminum and recycled materials, created by hand and vision of internationally renowned artist Howard Solomon. Come enjoy a personal tour where you’ll hear about the creation he brought to life. Solomon’s Castle truly embraces recycling others people unwanted items into beautiful and unique art piece. The whole family will enjoy the creativity behind Solomon’s castle.
- See – the plants and flowers that Plant Manager Peggy chose to surround the castle.
- Eat – at the Boat-in-the-Moat Restaurant for a homemade meal that’s too good to pass up.
- Explore – over 80 stained glass windows that adorn the castle.
Family-Friendly Tip: Please keep in mind Admission to the Grounds is FREE and Parking is FREE! It only cost to tour the inside of the castle. Only cash and checks are accepted, however there is an ATM onsite.
Operating Hours: Open Tuesday thru Sunday, 10:00A.M. – 4:00P.M. from October 2 – August 1
Closed all Mondays AND the Months of Aug and Sept.