Top Picks for Fall Family Fun
With fall upon us in Tampa Bay Area, there is no better time to get out and enjoy a little family fun! To start your fall bucket list for Tampa Bay family fun in 2019, we suggest our 25 ideas that will be sure to please.
Disclosure: This post may include affiliate links to products and services we love. See our privacy & disclosure policy.
1. It wouldn’t be fall bucket list without visiting one of these amazing Pumpkin Patches. Visiting a Pumpkin Patch lets the whole family choose the perfect pumpkins for their carving, and the area has plenty of places where you can find the gourd of your dreams, like Gallagher’s Pumpkin Patch in St. Petersburg! Want to get the REAL pumpkin patch experience? Visit the Pickin Patch in Dunellon to cut off your own pumpkins.
2. Watch a movie under the stars – Outdoor movies go with fall in the Tampa Bay area just like marshmallows go with graham crackers and chocolate! Visit one of these Drive-In Movie Theatres, and make sure to stop by Ruskin Family Drive-In, families can enjoy family friendly movies the old fashioned way all season long.
2. Not cool enough for you? Check out one of the many Ice Skating venues to embrace those cooler temperatures. One of our favorites is the AdventHealth Center Ice in Wesley Chapel.
3. Cheer on our Tampa Bay Lightning this fall season for a fun family date night.
4. Take in the second largest seafood festival on the east coast – In John’s Pass, the 38th Annual John’s Pass Seafood Festival takes place beginning Friday, October 18th. With great food and plenty of festivities the whole family can enjoy, it’s sure to be a weekend of fun. On day 2 of the festival, enjoy a special Halloween themed block party!
5. Some of our favorite fall events are fall festivals. Check out some of our favorites include Busch Gardens Safari Halloween themed weekends, the Wesley Chapel Fall Festival and so much more.
6. Creatures of the Night at ZooTampa at Lowry Park – The Creatures of the Night event promises Spooktacular fun for the whole family. This fully immersive Halloween adventure gives you a whole new look at the Zoo at night. Fun frights for all with trick-or-treating for the kids.
8. Get lost in a corn maze – Finding your way out of a corn maze isn’t just fun, it leaves you feeling accomplished! Check out some of our favorites including, HarvestMoon Fun Farm , the fun corn maze at Holler Holler Corn Maze or the newest corn maze at Raprager Farm in Odessa.
9. Make Halloween costumes – Who says you have to buy the perfect Halloween costume? Thinking up a family theme and having everyone make their own costumes promises nights of creative fun everyone can enjoy together! Your child can build their own costumes by: Shop the KiwiCo Store!
10. Fall Photos: Bass Pro Shops have free fall photos and crafts every year for the family. It’s always a fun time and it starts on Oct. 19th.
11. Check out the autumn wildlife – As the seasons change, so do our surroundings and Tampa Bay wildlife. Taking a walk through the Lower Hillsborough Wilderness Preserve gives your family a front row seat to all of autumn’s natural magic.
12.Get an apple cider donut – Apple cider donuts are a true pop of fall flavor, and Craving Donuts has some of the best. They’re the perfect way to start an autumn morning before heading to the pumpkin patch or the corn maze!
13. Take a trip to the farm – There is something special about visiting a working farm in the fall! Harvest Moon Fun Farm has mazes, pumpkin picking, animals, and plenty of fun for the entire family this fall.
14. Whether it’s friendly or scary, a Hayride will definitely get you into the fall spirit. Don’t forget, you can find hayrides at most corn mazes as well.
15. Go horseback riding – At Horse Power for Kids, horseback riding can be your new favorite fall family activity. With cooler temperatures, there’s no better time to spend time outdoors on the back of a horse.
16. Make a pumpkin pie – Fall is pumpkin season after all, so why not make a pumpkin pie as a family? Look up a favorite simple recipe, and get the whole family involved.
17. Mini train ride anyone? Bring the family for a fun and spooky mini train ride at Crews Lake Park in Spring Hill.
18. Take a trip to the planetarium – During the fall, the night sky begins to grow crisper, with stars popping out that you simply can’t see very well in the summer. Taking a trip to the Saunders Planetarium will teach you how to pick out stars in the fall night sky!
19. Enjoy a caramel apple – Caramel apples are exceptionally easy to make, but if you’re not feeling crafty, they can also be found at sweet shops around the area like Kilwins St. Petersburg or Kilwins Clearwater. This simple treat really embraces all of the best in fall flavor.
20. Go to a trick or treating event – Trick or treat events are a great time for whole families looking to show off those Halloween costumes! The Tampa Riverwalk Trick or Treat event takes place on October 26th from 4pm to 7pm.
21. Bake an apple pie – Apple pie isn’t just a summertime barbecue staple! Combined with fall spices and caramel, apple pies are perfect for filling your home with all of the cozy aromas of the fall season.
22. Go on a family scavenger hunt – While taking a fall hike out in the nature preserve, in the city, or anywhere around the area, why not make things fun with a simple scavenger hunt? Have little ones pick out different Halloween or fall themed sights on their seasonal scavenger hunt checklist.
23. Take a camping trip – Why not make s’mores, look up at the stars, and enjoy nature all at once? A camping trip at Hammock in the Pines is the perfect way to spend an autumn weekend in the Tampa Bay area.
24. Take in a Tampa Bay Buccaneers game – Fall means football, and taking in a Tampa Bay Buccaneers game is just the way to celebrate!
25. Have a scary story night – Get into the Halloween spirit by having a scary story night for the whole family. Share your favorite scary stories, or watch a family friendly spooky movie everyone loves!
26. Make s’mores – The classic dessert of fall, you don’t have to have a bonfire to make s’mores! While they’re great over an open flame, you can use your oven to make classic s’mores or s’mores inspired treats all season long.